The engine for Deepest Dungeon will be from scratch using various resources from around the internet.
It uses a similar concept as my Action RPG Tutorials but won’t be utilizing any of the combat mechanics, or other eye candy.
- XNA 4.0 – XNA API
- Tiled – Tile Map Editor (Level creation)
- TiledLib – Library to import Tiled maps (tmx) into XNA Content (by Nick Gravelyn)
- EasyStorage – Storage Library for XNA (by Nick Gravelyn)
- Paint.net – Image Editor for creating my content
- Gimp – Alternate Image Editor for special effect stuff for my content
- Network Game State Management Sample – Used to create a basic menu system / game state system with animated load screens
- Oubliette – Engine being written with game
So far everything here is free and/or open source. (With the exception of the Creators Club Membership @$99)
I will also try to post my source at the end of each day, so everyone can try out what I have (maybe even learn or improve on it).
So stay tuned to see how it goes. Will post more later about the game design.